Know current programming languagesIf you want to become a professional programmer I recommend learning one or more of the following
- C# (Either look at being the best you can at either Web Based or Windows. Don’t try and master both to start with. I personally believe web technologies are going to give you the best future.
- Mobil languages like Java and Objective C – Android, Iphone and IPad development. Mobile is going to be hot for a long time.
Have experienceDefined: Have created a project from scratch outside of an academic environment to solve an actual problem
- Created a web service.
- Connected to a SQL Server database with a development language.
- Created and dropped tables in a database using SQL not tools. Selected data including joining multiple tables, filtering data and ordering data with SQL. Have written a SQL function or stored procedure and used it within an application. Too many people tell me they know SQL and all they know is how to select * from table. You ask them to join to tables and they have no idea. Even a junior programmer should be able to join two tables.
- Know the basics of security. You should know how to stop SQL injection and cross site scripting attacks. A basic knowledge of hacking will help you create more security code.
- You might not be a designer but should have studied UX (User experience) and UI (User Interface) concepts and know how to make a screen look good and be functional.