Upgrading your operating system from XP to Windows 7 is something you might normally get your IT provider to do but iOS5 has been designed to be simple enough for anyone to do. There are a few issue that can occur but I have not seen anything to dramatic. Before you start make sure you have a spare couple of hours because it is not a 5 minute process.
- Upgrade to the latest version of iTunes
- When it asks to upgrade to iOS5 say no.
- Delete any apps in iTunes you do not use any more and have a bit of a tidy up.
- Do a sync of your iDevice.
- At this point it is a good idea to turn off your Anti-Virus. I had a problem with this when backing up the phone and good a 5000 error. Turning off the Anti-Virus and doing it again it worked correctly.
- Go to your iDevice and to the version panel and commence the upgrade. This will start by downloading the new OS which will take about 30minutes.
- Next it will backing everything up and load the new operating system.
- It will then restore the apps. It might appear to hang at this point but it is because it is waiting for you to run through a wizard on the phone.
- Run through the wizard and it will continue to restore the apps.